So, do as I say, not as I do.
Especially when what I do is blurt out that Thomas Kuhn said something that's "just stupid" in a proseminar where I already hold wildly unpopular views. Complicating matters further is my prof's apparent love and respect for Kuhn, and the fact that I also like Kuhn's work for the most part.
I seem to have this word-vomit problem in the proseminar. It's like I'm subconciously trying to liven everything up from the dead drone of three hours of slow chinese-water-like torture. Hey, maybe if I call this philosopher a dumbass this class will stop being so boring. And for a brief shining terror-filled moment it wasn't as boring. Then the prof continued enjoying himself talk, only tacitly acknowledging my contribution to the conversation with an aside to the effect of "Thomas Kuhn, who I don't believe ever said anything stupid, also commented that. . ." etc.
Back to boredom, sprinkled with a healthy dose of embarassment.
On a happier note, I went to the parade of lost souls this weekend, which is a free parade here in Vancouver. It was a blast. There were spontanous dances and bands everywhere, and people just wandering around playing on a flute or guitar. There was poi spinning and juggling all over the place, and in the tennis courts, fenced off for safety, was the fire poi spinner. Oooooo, very cool. Now I want to spin fire. I was entertaining the idea this afternoon while practicing poi, then I hit myself in the eye, and figured that would hurt pretty badly if it was a flaming ball instead of a tennis ball. Hmmm, no fire for now.
There were also two guys dressed up in almost identical giant penis costumes. How embarassing for them. Especially since one costume wasclearly superior to the other, since it spurted silly string. I've always felt that in situations where you run into someone dressed as the same thing as you, it is terrifically important that you have the superior costume.
I seem to have this word-vomit problem in the proseminar. It's like I'm subconciously trying to liven everything up from the dead drone of three hours of slow chinese-water-like torture. Hey, maybe if I call this philosopher a dumbass this class will stop being so boring. And for a brief shining terror-filled moment it wasn't as boring. Then the prof continued enjoying himself talk, only tacitly acknowledging my contribution to the conversation with an aside to the effect of "Thomas Kuhn, who I don't believe ever said anything stupid, also commented that. . ." etc.
Back to boredom, sprinkled with a healthy dose of embarassment.
On a happier note, I went to the parade of lost souls this weekend, which is a free parade here in Vancouver. It was a blast. There were spontanous dances and bands everywhere, and people just wandering around playing on a flute or guitar. There was poi spinning and juggling all over the place, and in the tennis courts, fenced off for safety, was the fire poi spinner. Oooooo, very cool. Now I want to spin fire. I was entertaining the idea this afternoon while practicing poi, then I hit myself in the eye, and figured that would hurt pretty badly if it was a flaming ball instead of a tennis ball. Hmmm, no fire for now.
There were also two guys dressed up in almost identical giant penis costumes. How embarassing for them. Especially since one costume wasclearly superior to the other, since it spurted silly string. I've always felt that in situations where you run into someone dressed as the same thing as you, it is terrifically important that you have the superior costume.


1 Comments:
Your last point is very true. Sadly my pipe had not arrived as of Saturday; so I was forced not to dress up like a wizard, for fear that I encountered another wizard who would have almost certainly had a better costume.
As we all know, the better dressed wizard almost always wins in a magic battle. Gandalf didn't win until he got that spiffy new set of white robes in LOTR. Thus my point is irrefutably proven.
Cheers,
Post a Comment
<< Home