Thursday, October 12, 2006

Titles are hard

and thinking is hard. I'm sort of sick. I'm not flat out sleeping sick, but I have a pestering sore throat and a bit of a foggy head. . . well, definitely foggier than usual, and am tired all the time. So I've finished my research proposal for the proseminar, and am now having a gilmore girls marathon while I feel sorry for myself.

These girls drink a lot of coffee. They buy several cups a day. It reminds me that there are at least four different coffee houses within a five-minute walking distance to my house, two of them are starbucks.

That got me thinking about how reassuring and appealing just holding a disposable coffees cup full of hot warm coffee is. It seems to be a symbol of our times. Yes it's early, I'm overworked, I'm tired and grumpy, but with only two to four dollars (depending on taste) I have my coffee, my crutch, my symbol that I can face the day. It's like having your towel, for those of you who are familiar with Douglas Adams. As an aside, did you know that some woman took that to heart and actually demanded to have a towel on her deathbed, in order to be sure that everything would be fine. Apparently Adams was appalled.

But I digress. The troubling thing about all this is that the disposable coffee cup is a symbol of our times, and I don't like coffee. True, I can request Tea, it comes in the same cup, and if I remove the little dangly thing attached to the tea bag, then no one knows that it isn't coffee. But I know. I know I'm faking. I'm faking my own culture.

I feel like this should be troubling. But I think Lorelei and Luke are about to hook up, and I don't want to miss it, so I'll worry about my sheep-in-wolf's clothing status another time.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They ARE like towels! Like this morning, while walking all the F-ing way from Kensington to the approximate Ship and Anchor area, it was quite rewarding to stop at a Starbucks for a real capp and "food". Yeah, stop faking your own culture Jill and embrace the flavour and aroma of the roasted beans (this is not Drae by the way, it's the other one)! We will not be asking the circumstances of this long walk either. Cheers.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tsk, tsk anonymous

you sound angry... this coming after my diatribe on the keyboard. How can one enjoy roasted bean when maxwell house does it so much better (and cheaper) right in your own home?

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as for the cultural issue, I take offence that the symbol of our time is a disposable coffe cup... it is more a symbol of the problems facing western civilization

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Giiba. I really didn't mean to sounds angry - sorry! I just like teasing Jill! But when you need a coffee in the morning and you are not at home, and got little sleep, Starbucks seems very welcoming. Yes, home brewed is better. Also agreeing with the disposable cup issue (it's my job to care about the environment I think...)

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Amy coming home from a long night at the Boyfriends house hey!

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am I the only one who only glanced at the title and totally thought it said "titties are hard?"
Maybe it's just my subconcious telling me something but I made that mistake.
Good to see you blogging jill...tell your ruggedly handsome brother to email me, as I do not have his address anymore ;) samantha.re@hotmail.com
and cheers to your awesome blog!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home