Giant Robot Car!!
K, had an uneventful weekend and little to say now. Philosophy of language is slowly dragging me into a quicksand of indifference and despair. I always thought it would be existential angst that would make me end up loathing philosophy, turns out its the removal of such angst that has me really pissed.
Quick summary, philosophy of language says that any questions about the nature of the world, or the nature of our minds, is meaningless. So all the interesting philosophical questions are meaningless and we shouldn't ask about them. Its a bit like the Buddhist move of saying that questions of the existence of God are irrelevant cause they aren't important. Only no one said God is meaningless, only that he isn't relevant.
No, what we should ask about are irritating little nit-picking questions about denotation and sense and reference. When I say 'dog' how do we know I am referring to a dog (whatever the hell that means now that questions of the external world are meaningless) or to the word dog itself? Hmmm, deep and puzzling.
Don't get me wrong, I actually do think some important things have come out of this nitpicking puzzling. Like the refutation of one of the most compelling proofs for gods existence. Whew, without good old phil of language Nietzsche might have been proven wrong!!
But I'm bored of it, and I can't find a topic in this area to write a paper on. That's what I did yesterday. And I finally got sick of looking.
Which brings me to the title of this entry. If you haven't seen Megas XLR, you are really cheating yourself out of one of the greatest saturday-morning cartoons of our times. Notice I say "Saturday-morning". I am not comparing this to Futurama or Simpsons, and certainly not to Family Guy. But there is just something so satisfying about watching a giant car smash a city to ruins that I don't care about whether questions of the world are meaningless.
Let me give you a taste. Here's the opening jingle:
"Living here in Jersey fighting aliens from afar,
You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.
You dig giant robots
I dig giant robots
We dig giant robots
Chicks dig giant robots
nice"
hehe.
Quick summary, philosophy of language says that any questions about the nature of the world, or the nature of our minds, is meaningless. So all the interesting philosophical questions are meaningless and we shouldn't ask about them. Its a bit like the Buddhist move of saying that questions of the existence of God are irrelevant cause they aren't important. Only no one said God is meaningless, only that he isn't relevant.
No, what we should ask about are irritating little nit-picking questions about denotation and sense and reference. When I say 'dog' how do we know I am referring to a dog (whatever the hell that means now that questions of the external world are meaningless) or to the word dog itself? Hmmm, deep and puzzling.
Don't get me wrong, I actually do think some important things have come out of this nitpicking puzzling. Like the refutation of one of the most compelling proofs for gods existence. Whew, without good old phil of language Nietzsche might have been proven wrong!!
But I'm bored of it, and I can't find a topic in this area to write a paper on. That's what I did yesterday. And I finally got sick of looking.
Which brings me to the title of this entry. If you haven't seen Megas XLR, you are really cheating yourself out of one of the greatest saturday-morning cartoons of our times. Notice I say "Saturday-morning". I am not comparing this to Futurama or Simpsons, and certainly not to Family Guy. But there is just something so satisfying about watching a giant car smash a city to ruins that I don't care about whether questions of the world are meaningless.
Let me give you a taste. Here's the opening jingle:
"Living here in Jersey fighting aliens from afar,
You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.
You dig giant robots
I dig giant robots
We dig giant robots
Chicks dig giant robots
nice"
hehe.


5 Comments:
For some reason I am reminded of the very excellent short film "More", which I think you would like. (If you can find it on the internets you should definitely watch it. Review at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188913/ The sad little alien guy really emotes.)
Mudget: I was very impressed that you wrote "saturday-morning" with a hyphen, i.e. the correct way when using the 2 words as an adjective (to describe "cartoons"). There is nothing wrong with your punctuation. Speaking of nit-picking, perfectly cromulent punctuation like yours is an great aspect of any blog. Can you guess who this is?
I've got it narrowed down to 2 people, but I would say the added 'cromulent' comment tips the scales in favour of my Simpsons-trivia-champion friend.
I can't hide anything from you. Actually I wanted you to know who it was! Your blog embiggens my day.
only your day? Not your soul? Ah, you silver-tounged liar. Wouldn't think silver would be the most practical replacement for a tongue.
Post a Comment
<< Home